(Mahnheim, 1884 – Paris, 1979)
In 1907 the art dealer and critic Kahnweiler opened his first gallery in Paris and soon came into contact with the Fauve artists. Besides discovering Picasso and becoming one of his main dealers, he also discovered Van Dongen, Braque and Juan Gris, whose work he promoted as he would later promote that of Fernand Léger, Manolo Hugué, Henri Laurens, André Masson and Josep de Togores. In 1920 he opened the famous Galerie Simon, which would subsequently become Galerie Louise Leiris. Kahnweiler is considered the greatest advocate of Cubism. He also made several editions of books and prints, and was the first to publish the writings of Apollinaire. Kahnweiler’s punctilious time-keeping and legendary patience are epitomised by the eye-catching sign for the watch-chain straddling the waistcoat of his immaculate dark suit and the prominence given to his neatly clasped hands resting in his lap.
Tardor del 1910
Oil on canvas
100,4 x 72,4 cm
The Art Institute of Chicago. Donació Sra. Gilbert W. Chapman en memòria de Charles B. Goodspeed. 1948.561